Sunday, February 13, 2011

I Buy Random Things - 1840s Antique Blouse & Cape


Here I am again, attempting to blog. Ideally this blog will revolve around all things sewing and crafting, in an attempt to document and keep track of the things I create and the things I collect. Welcome!

The story goes like this: In the summer of 2008, my grandfather and I went to a treasure trove of an auction. Former antique dealers were selling everything - and I scored this amazing antique cape and blouse from the 1840s to the tune of $10. I was one of just two bidders. Let's just say a lot of bargains went down that day, poor sellers!

See more photos and detail after the jump!



For the last 2 1/2 years I've thought a lot about properly preserving and documenting the clothing, but sadly they have sat untouched since purchase (shielded from the sun and light at least). Finally in a flurry of new years resolution inspiration last month, I bought an acid free museum quality storage box and a stack of tissue paper. I researched the best means of cleaning via the Smithsonian Institution website - which instructed essentially to NOT clean, but rather use a very low powered suction vacuum to remove any dust and debris. I bought a low powered craft vac and went to town, carefully.

The blouse is a beautiful purple silk. Torn, tattered and faded in spots, yet still unbelievably striking.


I love the beautiful purple glass buttons - all still intact. Whether or not they are original to the blouse, they're lovely. The lace detail is encircled with a velvet strip of ribbon - once pink, now faded.

Delicate buttonholes:

The interesting thing about the blouse is that it appears it was completely constructed and then holes were cut-out peekaboo style for the lace accents:


It's remarkable, one of a kind and altered to please. Created sometime in the 1840s, possibly Scandinavian in origin (I'm basing this on the fact that an "Anderson" was an owner).

Here's the original price tag, they wanted $125 for the blouse and $75 for the cape. I'd say saving $190 was no small bargain!

The garments are now packed away in tissue paper in my closet. Hopefully safe for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment